Thinking of going to University?

There are so many options for young people wanting to go to university in terms of what they may want to study and where.

A Personal Advisor or Social Worker can help by identifying courses that might be right for the young person. You can get university prospectuses in libraries; online of you can request them by phone or email. If the young person is thinking of moving away it is wise to research the area that the university is in so you know what support is available.

All of the Colleges and Universities in Kent and Medway have a Designated Member of Staff (DMS) specifically for care leavers. They can provide support and advice on the application process, financial support and an overview of their university. Universities outside of Kent and Medway may also have a DMS so it is worth checking with the ones that you are considering.

VSK staff can provide transitional support for those considering university. The Post16 team work very closely with the DMS in Kent and Medway and may be able to support the young person in accessing support through mentoring or an ambassador of the university. Speak to your VSK Support Officer or social worker for more information.

Useful Information:

The National Network for the Education of Care Leavers is a network of higher education institutions and national organisations supporting the progression of young people in (or leaving) care into and through further and higher education. They have recently launched a dedicated website with a directory of events, including taster days, mentoring programmes, summer schools and also CPD events for professionals; all delivered by higher education institutions and charities across England. Visitors to the site will be able to search by geographical radius, age range and activity type to find relevant activities in their area.

Which? University is an independent source of expert information and advice to help students find the right degree course and university for them.

Propel provides information about educational provision for care leavers to help them make an informed choice about courses and institution. It also helps to ensure that they access all the support to which they are entitled hopefully reducing the number of care leavers forced to drop out.

Applications to university are made at the UCAS website. This website has a wide range of support and information regarding the entire process of researching, applying and interviews and then accepting offers and clearing. Take time searching through this website.