Post16 Provision Budget
The Post16 Provision Budget (PPB) is for Kent children in care (CiC) and young care leavers (YCL) in years 12 and 13 who are engaged in some form of education, training or employment. It can be accessed by those who are living both in and outside of Kent.
What is it for?
It is for CiC and YCL who are in Post Statutory School age provision. It can be used to provide extra-curricular activities which broaden and enhance the life experiences of CiC and YCL where all other sources of funding have been utilised. These activities could include:
- Mandatory educational trips
- Part time educational courses
- Accredited sporting/creative activities
PPB can also be used to fund specialised equipment such as bicycles for CiC and YCL with mobility difficulties or catering equipment.
Will each CiC/YCL be allocated a specific allowance?
No. The fund will be allocated according to need and there should be no expectation that every CiC/YCL will need to access the fund.
How will it be managed?
Applications for funding will be considered by the Post16 Assistant Head and discussed with teams at locality meetings. VSK’s Senior Leadership Team may also use the fund to provide centrally commissioned countywide support. VSK Senior Leadership Team may also agree funding for CiC of statutory school age in very exceptional circumstances.
The deadline for applications in each financial year will be the end of Term3 to ensure that invoices are paid within the current budget.
How should Tuition be commissioned?
For CiC and YCL who are aged 16plus where there is no access to PP+ funding or a bursary PPB can be used to provide academic tutoring or ESOL courses for Unaccompanied Asylum Seeking Children. Tuition can be commissioned in a number of ways, but will always be based on completed PPB request which will indicate the plan and the expected outcomes. There is an expectation that progress reports and a final outcome report will be provided by the tutor. Tuition should be limited to 10 hours and then reviewed before an application to continue is considered.
- If the team wishes to commission a tuition agency, VSK approved tuition providers must be used. Commissioning of tutors by tender will be managed directly by the locality team and organised so that the agency will liaise directly with the locality team admin officers.
- The young person’s education provider may be commissioned to provide the tuition. In this situation the invoice must come from the provider and not a tuition agency/individual. It may be necessary to pay the provider an admin fee for doing so.
- Where the tuition is a continuation of an existing arrangement, the existing tuition agency may be used, but under no circumstances may an individual tutor be employed directly.
What documentation is involved?
The application form must detail the plan, the cost and the expected outcome. An approved application should become an addendum to the PEP and be reviewed at the next meeting. The team may consider the need for additional evidence before approving a plan.
Personal Education Plans are now mandatory for those post16 and will be required to support any PPB requests regardless of the young person’s education, training or employment status.
Who can apply?
Anyone working directly with the young person who has an input directly or indirectly to the PEP (e.g. education provider, Designated Member of Staff, Social Worker, Foster Carer)
To make an application please complete the Post16 Provision Budget Form