Health Services in Kent
The National Health Service (NHS) is made up of different types of Trusts and Authorities. Kent comes under Kent Community Health NHS Trust. Primary Care Trusts (PCT’s) employ the people you normally see when you first have a health problem, e.g. Dentists, General Practitioner.
The Kent Community Health NHS Trust provides the following services:
- Child Protection
- Health Visiting
- Integrated Therapy and Care Co-ordination Services for Children
- Primary Mental Health
- School Nursing
- Speech and Language Therapy Early Years Service
- Children in Care Specialist Nurses
Kent and Medway NHS and Social Care Partnership Trust is our local Mental Health Trust and runs the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS). Mental Health Trusts provide health and social care services for both adults and children with mental health problems.
Useful references and resources for those involved in the Health of Children in Care
- Promoting the Health and Well-Being of Looked after Children (DfE March 2015)
- Young Minds is the UK’s leading charity committed to improving the emotional wellbeing and mental health of children and young people
- Promoting the quality of life of Looked After Children (National Institute for Health and Clinical Guidance Oct 2010)
- National Children’s Bureau - the leading national charity which supports children, young people, families and those who work with them. We aim to improve the well-being of children and young people across every aspect of their lives.