Advice for Parents
The Department of Education defines Previously Looked After Children (PLAC) as those who:
- “are no longer looked after by a local authority in England and Wales (as defined by the children Act 1989 or Part 6 of the Social Services and Wellbeing (Wales) Act 2014) because they are the subject of an adoption, special guardianship or child arrangements order; or
- Were adopted from ‘state care’ outside England and Wales. ‘State care’ is care provided by a public authority, a religious organisation, or any other organisation whose sole or main purpose is to benefit society.”
How can VSK help you?
The role of the Virtual School for PLAC is to promote their educational achievement through the provision of information and advice to their parents, educators and others where necessary. VSK will:
- Offer advice and information to parents and signpost them to other services for advice and support if necessary.
- Offer advice and information to providers of early education, designated teachers in schools and providers of alternative provision in respect of individual PLAC.
- Make general advice and information available to early years settings and schools to improve awareness of the vulnerability and needs of previously looked-after children. This includes promoting good practice on identifying and meeting children’s needs and guidance on effective use of the Pupil Premium funds.
Who to Contact for Further Advice
Every school has a designated teacher, if you are unsure who that person is, the school office will be able to give you this information. In the first instance, it would be advisable for parents to contact the Designated Teacher who will be able to discuss any concerns that they have and if necessary, will be able to arrange an EPPLAC meeting with parents and the relevant professionals.
VSK can offer advice over the phone to parents and will suggest next steps for you to follow to ensure that your child is getting the right support; this may include signposting you to other services, websites, explaining educational processes, etc.
You can contact VSK by email at: email@example.com