Posted on by
On 19th October we held the fourth annual Post 16 Awards Ceremony to recognise and celebrate the achievements of our young people – the event was a fantastic evening with over 40 young people attending, supported by their friends, carers, social workers and personal advisers. The evening took an Oscars theme, with red carpet, photo screen, popcorn, sports activities and buffet.
Roger Gough, Cabinet Member for Children, Young People and Education opened the ceremony followed by Tony Doran, VSK Head Teacher who spoke about how high the standard of entries were again this year. This was followed by a presentation from the Participation Team on the Young Adults Council.
Our guest speakers Michelle Smith, from Liberty Training gave an inspirational talk about believing in yourself, and not taking no for an answer and Martin Collins, The Kent Magician spoke about having courage and conviction to follow your career dreams, and not giving up at the first hurdle. Sarah Hammond, Interim Director Specialist Children’s Services closed the evening.
Awards were presented by Roger Gough and Andrew Ireland, Corporate Director Social Care Health and Wellbeing to:
- Young people achieving excellent Key Stage 4 results
- Superstars of the Young Adults Council
- Bronze, Silver and Gold Awards for our Post16 students
- Rebecca Jones from Canterbury College received an award for the fantastic support she gives as the Designated Member of Staff
- Naintara Khosla, Assistant Director Corporate Parenting presented Chloe Mutton with the Outstanding VSK Apprentice Award